Monday, July 29, 2013

I kinda tricked other people...


Hello everyone!

So when I write blog entry I normally just sit down and tell you all everything that is happening in my joke of an online dating experience and because I know you all (kind of), I just tell you how it is. If I miss a comma it’s ok, you all aren’t judging me (except my mother). The online dating world is a whole new type of game. You all probably know best just how many messages I have ignored because these young (and old) men say things like “hey gurl u cute. Its nice to talk to u” (it genuinely pained me to type that). After receiving loads of messages that look like that I made it my one and only goal to not sound ridiculous when sending messages. That’s genuinely my only goal here, not even to get a date anymore, but to trick people into believing that I am like super smart, classy, and speak English well. I tell you all of this in order to help you understand just how much of my messages are thoroughly planned out in order to make a potential suitor think I’m cool and educated.

This is a real conversation I had a couple of weeks ago with a friend:

Me: Ok so do I respond right away because he seems to be responding fairly quickly…
Her: Well, I mean give it a minute. We better start planning what you’re going to say now.
Me: Ok well he used a lot of words I’ve never heard of…hold on let me google this.

[About 15 minutes goes by of us creating a perfect message of me discussing my fondness for Dante’s Inferno and my love of Purgatory and Paradise, but how they are extremely underrated…(side note: I skimmed purgatory and paradise so I wouldn’t really know) and us having to google a few more words]

[My message ended with an invite for drinks at a local restaurant]

Me: So we’ve got the message.

[my friend proceeds to tell me to read it aloud to her making sure I say all the punctuation as it is typed in the message; i.e. “Hey comma I really liked blah blah blah too exclamation point" we had to make sure it sounded ok] 

Her: Sounds good to me.
Me: Great! Hmmm…do I end with period or an exclamation point?
Her: Throw him a bone, give that man an exclamation point, show some excitement. 

News Flash: in case you didn’t realize before, online dating is a group experience. Your friends are responsible for keeping you sane and your lovely online blogging community keeps it interesting and fun!

Turns out I had still misspelled a few things, but that's neither here nor there. I've looked back on some of the messages I have sent people and I can't help but to think, "Wow, Leigh you misspelled half of those words and it seems like you don't really "get" punctuation. Now, whereas a lot of people would assume that I have learned to be more forgiving after seeing my own mistakes, you would be wrong. Punctuation and spelling mistakes still get my goat.


xoxo,
Leigh

6 comments: