Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Online dating pic do's and don'ts...scratch that, mainly just don'ts.

So a big part of online dating that everyone spends literally hours trying to do is picking a picture or pictures. There a few key elements to choosing a good picture and you would be surprised by how many people choose poor pictures.  I’ve included many pictures in this blog, but worry not! All of these pictures are of my friends who said I could use them for this purpose or of myself (sacrificing my pride here y'all).


Unhelpful/Bad pictures consist of:

1) Viewers not being able to see your face…like at all. I totally get this whole “let’s not be shallow! Let’s date people based on their personalities!” I understand that! But I think if you have 3 eyes I should know about it in advance. I see many pictures like this, people are wearing ski gear or they are scuba diving. It is nice to see that you do cool stuff but if a picture of you covered literally head to toe is your only picture, we’ve got some issues. A lot people choose pictures where they're doing really cool things or being super fit, which is awesome! except for the fact that that's not helpful. 


"Just getting my Rugby on"

"Skiing! Ya"

2) Pictures that only show your totally ripped abs or incredibly toned back…or that you’ve conveniently cut your head out of…I think this is just weird. Do we really need me to start my “put some clothes on” rant? But it’s more than that, it really is, I think the big question here is why have you specifically avoided the camera??? I just don’t think I’d go on a date with a guy if when we go on a date I have to just wait on you to come up and tap me. In addition to that, I’m assuming we’re going somewhere where a shirt and shoes are required…so that picture of your back is not as helpful as you’d think. The awkward part about is everyday I get messages from guys and the only picture they have up is a picture where THEY HAVE CROPPED THEIR HEAD OUT. It's just awkward for all involved.

Ya bruh! Checkout my striped shirt!


3) Pictures where you could one of 4-10 different people… I used the picture below because I am trying to illustrate a point, no matter how gorgeous you are (as the 4 ladies below are beautiful) if this is your only picture it leaves the viewer wondering hmm…which one of these people am I pursuing? It’s like when you were a kid and you got a cereal that had 1 of 4 different prizes and you didn’t care which one you got as long as you got one?? Well dating should NOT be like that…while all of your options may be great, it’s important to know who the heck you’re talking to. That bottom picture may seem like an exaggeration, but I have honestly seen pictures where guys are like "that's me just chilling on the beach." Seriously? Who? Where are you? There are 4000 other people on that beach and in that picture...you are being less than helpful. 

"That's me!"

"Just me and some friends"

4) I have mentioned this before but I will say it again and I will probably say it again later: if all of your pictures are awkward selfies then you have other problems to deal with…My general rule about selfies is I will give you one…ONE not two and definitely not three. Once you’ve gone beyond that we have a serious issue, and that issue is I’m not going to respond to your message…awkward…Also what is with people taking selfies and having the camera in front of their faces???? Doesn’t that defeat the purpose of a picture?  See examples of both below.




 "OMG selfies!"

I’m just saying, I genuinely think people have forgotten what the main purpose of a picture is…Your OKCupid pictures should demonstrate a few things:

1) You have friends.
2) You have friends that like going places or doing things with you.
3) You know how to properly dress yourself (i.e. you are wearing a shirt, unless you are swimming or are on a beach)
4) You’re a fun social person who knows how to at least kind of be seen in public.

  
Next week friends we’ll hear about the message that will rival ALL other messages I have ever received in my entire life. SPOILER ALERT: by rival I mean made me sad that he was a person that other people may have to talk to at some point in their lives (that may seem harsh but you will understand soon enough).

 xoxox,

Leigh




No comments:

Post a Comment